1.03.2013

New Year's Resolutions

Happy New Year! I've been MIA over the past two weeks during our travels to Texas for the holidays, but now I'm back and ready for a new year filled with lots more pink and orange.

I've been thinking for a while now about expanding this blog to be more than just a bunch of links to cute pink and orange things I find online. While I still want to do that, I've also been thinking about how to grow the blog and make it more personal. I'd love to write a little about food, decorating, home organization, work, etc.

So, to kick it off, here's my plan for January: The Apartment Therapy January Cure! Each day, Apartment Therapy emails you a task to complete, and by the end of the month you have a more organized, clean, and attractive home. What a great way to start off the new year!

I'm pretty organized, do a decent job of dusting and vacuuming regularly, and our apartment is fully painted, furnished, and decorated. Back in the spring, Jud and I did an enormous (for our tiny apartment) purge of absolutely everything we don't want or need (using Goodwill, Craigslist, Half.com, and a couple of local clothing resale stores) and have kept it up ever since. So, while we don't have much excess clutter, I do feel like there are some areas I could work on to make our space work even better for us.

Wednesday's task was to just make a list of the tasks you'd like to accomplish. So, after a walk through the apartment, here's what I've got, room by room:

Bedroom:
-reorganize dresser and nightstand drawers
-pull out any clothes to sell or donate
-do something with the framed art/photos on the floor by the TV
-find a frame for my new bunny parade print
-clean out the green box on top of my dresser
-look into getting a better scale
-find a new bedside lamp for Jud

Bathroom:
-reorganize cabinet of extra toiletries
-wipe out drawers
-deep-clean the shower
-reorganize nailpolish
-get a new clock
-scrub the hairspray gunk off the the lid of the toilet seat
-get maintenance to fix our hissing toilet

Laundry Room:
-rehang tablecloths
-clean out blue drawers and bin of bunny stuff
-wipe down the washer and dryer and use Goo-Gone on the weird sticky strip on the dryer

Entryway:
-throw out the reusable shopping bags that are worn out or never used
-reorganize the dishes and decorations in the yellow buffet
-rethink the decorations on top of the yellow buffet

Kitchen:
-choose recipes to use up some neglected ingredients in the cabinets and freezer
-wipe down the inside of the refrigerator
-go through and deal with/put away everything in the orange mail holder
-look through cookbooks to sell/donate those that I don't use and identify recipes in the others that I'd like to make
-recycle excess paper shopping bags
-find a better place to keep the aprons
-get more magnets

Living Room:
-do another sweep for DVDs and video games to sell
-look into having the split seams on the couch cushions repaired
-continue to work on bonding the bunnies so that they can share a pen
-look for new rugs for the bunnies' pens

Office Area:
-reorganize the cubbies of stationary and paper goods
-do another sweep for books to sell/donate
-make 2013 file folders for medical, paystubs, and bank documents
-print and file 2012 paystubs
-figure out how to unlock our new bank

Dining Room:
-oil the table
-find or make tags or labels for the decanters on the bar
-re-do the decorations on the top of the bar

Wow, that feels like a lot! A lot of these tasks will take less than 30 minutes, though, so I think it's pretty manageable. And, fortunately, not everything has to be crossed off the list by the end of the month. If anyone would like to join in on the Cure, it's not too late to start! Go here to sign up for the daily emails. I'd love to know what others are working on.

I'm planning to post lots of updates along the way with photos of my progress. And no worries, I'll still be sharing links to any cute pink and orange stuff that I come across all month long!

No comments:

Post a Comment